Saturday, March 8, 2014

Oven Mitt - www.skiptomylou.org

These oven mitts filled with cool gadgets, a food mix or an apron would make a cute gift for someone that likes to cook!

You will need:
1/4 Insul-Bright insulated lining
1/4 yard of fabric
1/4 yard fabric for lining
extra wide double fold bias tape
Download pattern
Oven Mitt Template (top)
Oven Mitt Template (bottom)
Cut out your pieces or cut out 9X14 rectangles

I found it easiest to cut the fabric and linings into a rectangle 9 X14, sandwich them together and then machine stitch them together.  You can use any design.  I just simply stitched straight lines. Once you are finished, cut out your pattern.  Doing it this way allowed me to work quicker since I didn’t have to fuss with keeping all 3 pieces perfectly lined up while I stitched them together.

Place the two quilted pieces right sides together. You may place a fabric loop 2 inches up from the bottom in the side seam. I made loop by cutting a rectangle 3″ X 4″. Fold piece in half lenghtways, press. Open up and fold each edge to the middle, press. Fold in half, press. Stitch along both edges.

Sew around mitt 1/4 inch from the edge.  Trim and clip seams (especially between thumb and first finger).  Sometimes I get a nicer look if I sew a really tight curve instead of pivoting between the thumb and first finger–it is a tricky spot.  Zig zag, overcast or cut with pinking shears to finish seams.

Turn right side out and apply seam binding around the bottom edge to finish.  My plan was to use the HO HO HO I used for the lining and make my own binding, however the words were upside down and said OH OH OH (not what I was going for). Next time I am thinking some trim would really make it extra special.


I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment